Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Yay! Amazon is cracking down on fake jade!
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20 Nov, 2014 5:38 PM by: Aquarius Girl J...
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 10:39 AM  
Click to report abuse...
Dear Seller,

Please be advised that your listings are required to meet all applicable legal, regulatory and policy requirements, including the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Jewelry Guidelines and the Amazon Jewelry Quality Assurance Standards. Recently, there has been an influx of “jade” listings on the Amazon website. All sellers using the word “jade” incorrectly in their listings will be subject to negative actions on their account, including and up to permanent removal of their jewelry selling privileges.

“Jade” is the collective name for jadeite and nephrite, and may only be used to describe those two items. Sellers should clearly state whether or not the jade is jadeite or nephrite. In addition, sellers must clearly disclose treatments, including both dye and impregnation. You may not use the word “jade” to describe alternative stones. Restrictions on the use of the word “jade” include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Afghanistan Jade (a form of the stone Serpentine)
• American Jade (a form of californite)
• Amazon Jade (a variety of green feldspar)
• Fire Jade (a form of opal)
• Jadeolite (a form of syenite)
• Jiuquan Jade (a form of serpentine)
• Mexican Jade (a form of onyx or calcite)
• Regal Jade (a variety of quartz)
• South African Jade (a green variety of garnet)
• African Jade (a green variety of a garnet)
• Andesine Jade (a form of andesine)
• Colorado Jade (a green variety of feldspar)
• Fukien Jade (a form of soapstone)
• Jadine (a form of chrysoprase)
• Korean Jade (a form of serpentine, bowenite, steatite, etc.)
• Mountain Jade (a form of dolomite)
• Russian Jade (a variety of serpentine)
• Swiss Jade (a form of jasper)
• Agate Jade (a form of the stone agate)
• Australian Jade (a form of chrysophase)
• Dushan Jade (a form of saussurite)
• Garnet Jade (a variety of garnet)
• Japanese Jade (a form of white agate)
• Lemon Jade (a form of serpentine)
• New Jade (a form of serpentine)
• Serpentine Jade (a form of serpentine)
• Vesuvianite Jade (a form of californite)
• Alaska Jade (a form of pectolite)
• Albite Jade (a combination of white albite and green actinolite)
• Feather River Jade (a form of californite)
• Indian Jade (a variety of aventurine)
• Jasper Jade (either jasper or serpentine)
• Malaysian Jade (a form of soapstone)
• Oregon Jade (a variety of either jasper or garnet)
• Siberian Jade (a form of serpentine)
• Xiuyan Jade (a form of serpentine)

Note that Amazon also prohibits the sale of any jade products originating from Burma (Myanmar). We request that all sellers review their products and listings to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies. Please refer to the Amazon Jewelry Quality Assurance Standards for additional information, https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/201269180.

Regards,

Amazon Jewelry Support

Is this a helpful question? Yes 2   No
10 Replies
Sort replies by:
Style

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 10:52 AM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

FINALLY Jewelry Support is giving S U P P O R T

This is WHY I came to forums to begin with and why I post here.

I posted about this last summer after a seller who had been suspended over "New Jade" gave me a heads up that I had two pieces marked jade in my store. I got them from a very reputable dealer and had no idea that jade was such a sticky wicket.

Now we have a very explicit, definitive list.

Would someone also care to post how to tell what treatments a stone has had, since wholesalers of low end jewelry with semiprecious stones generally give no details?

Most lower end turquoise is stabilized to make it less porous and brittle. and also reconstituted and dyed. Heat treating is common too.

But if the "experts" would chime in here, we'd all appreciate it.

Except for two pieces I have with small turquoise stones, I'm avoiding it or only going with synthetic for now.

But we do so appreciate Jewelry Support giving us all an official heads up.

I feel like the smallest Who in Whoville who has finally been heard!

Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 1
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 11:17 AM   in response to: Style in response to: Style  
Click to report abuse...
If you listen very, very carefully, you can hear the cry in the distance...

"WHY OH WHY did they have to do this right before Christmas?!?"

It's not going to be pretty.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 2
Style

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 11:22 AM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos  
Click to report abuse...
At least we've been forwarned that there is a crackdown in progress over non-Fed Standards terminology.

And it is something we specifically asked for - definitive list of acceptable/non acceptable gemstone terms.

AND NOW...

If AmazonSanta will please tell us why NoveltyHell exists and how to escape it and get to go to the Other Place where we can float on beautiful clouds and play harps while customers successfully find and browse our nice fashion jewelry and fine listings!!

but for today, Fluffy, I am doing my happy dance.

Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1
Marilyn's Attic

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 11:29 AM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos  
Click to report abuse...
OK I have not had nearly enough sleep or caffeine (still re-entering reality after a week in the Magic Kingdom)....is the list the words we CAN use or CAN NOT use? I noticed one of them is "Amazon Jade" --assuming that means the river, not The River. So those are illegal terms, correct?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 1
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 12:10 PM   in response to: Marilyn's Attic in response to: Marilyn's Attic  
Click to report abuse...
Correct. Those are illegal terms. They are used as trade terms a lot, though, even by people who should know better.

"African jade" -- ! A vendor recently sent me a necklace with what she said were African jade beads. She does lovely work but if I used her descriptions verbatim on her items I'd be suspended up, down and sideways. Scary.

African turquoise is another no-no. It's just a variety of jasper.

I am so envious of your week in the Magic Kingdom, any of the Magic Kingdoms. I've been working my tush off.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 2
OutWest

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 1:28 PM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos
Helpful
Click to report abuse...
I already knew that the only 2 legitimate uses for the term "jade" was in reference to jadeite and nephrite; but, there are several in that list that I didn't know what the real stone name was and it's good to not only see Amazon cracking down, but also attempting to educate sellers in the process.

Kudos, Amazon Jewelry Team!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Apples vs Oranges

Posted on: 17 Nov, 2014 1:49 PM   in response to: OutWest in response to: OutWest  
Click to report abuse...
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 1
Aquarius Girl J...

Posted on: 19 Nov, 2014 10:35 AM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos  
Click to report abuse...
Fluffy, thanks for listing the FTC Guidelines regarding jade. In September our account was suspended for descriptions of certain gemstones, jade being one of the culprits. One of the items in question was real jade but it was treated, which we didn't disclose.

When inquiring about reinstatement, the rep made it very clear to us that we should use the word "simulated" not "synthetic", when describing a stone that we could not verify as genuine. We were told this several times during that conversation; but if the FTC Guidelines clearly state that we cannot use the word “jade” to describe alternative stones, then I have reservations about using the words "simulated jade". Any thoughts out there? We have some pieces that were sold to us as "jade" but now we're afraid to keep them in our inventory.

When we got reinstated in mid-October, we were banished to Novelty Hell and our sales dropped off immediately. We are still there (in hell) and it's been more than a month. Would writing to Jewelry Support for reinstatement to the Jewelry category be a good idea? Would you recommend that?

Thanks very much. And I just want to say how much I appreciate the input from those on the seller forum. When we were suspended, the responses from Stylephyle, UniqueApp, and Charity were extremely helpful.
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 19 Nov, 2014 1:22 PM   in response to: Aquarius Girl J... in response to: Aquarius Girl J...  
Click to report abuse...
Aquarius Girl Jewelry wrote:
Would writing to Jewelry Support for reinstatement to the Jewelry category be a good idea? Would you recommend that?

I don't think it could hurt, so might as well.

I don't have any wisdom on how to list pieces when you don't know for sure the origin or treatment of the stone. I only know what I do. I have some sterling silver pieces embellished with freshwater pearls -- or so the mfr says -- but I don't even mention the word "pearl" in the title.

One of the few almost-universal takeaways from the Great Jewelry Massacre (to me, anyway) is that you can't go wrong undergrading your pieces.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 2
Aquarius Girl J...

Posted on: 20 Nov, 2014 5:38 PM   in response to: Beff Jezos in response to: Beff Jezos  
Click to report abuse...
Thanks for the suggestion - good advice. I appreciate it.